Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Original Oyster House in Mobile, AL

Whenever we stop in a town to work, we ask the locals.."Where do YOU eat?"  I can get Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's, and Red Lobster anywhere.  I want to go to the hometown spots, where the food is not from a frozen bag.  

This trip yielded several people giving the same answer...The Original Oyster House.  Obviously, if 2 or more people recommend it, and you drive by to see the parking lot packed, you must believe its a good spot to eat.  Today, after touring the USS Alabama battleship (which was really fun, by the way), we decided to stop and have lunch at this 'infamous' place.  Bad, bad choice.  

Let me start by reprimanding people......stop eating shit fried!!  For the sake of all that should have flavor, stop masking it with breading and oil.  I know, I am guilty of eating fried food...but that was before the DH had his heart attack.  Since then, it has become a job, literally, to find a seafood (or any other, for that matter) restaurant than has more than just fried food on the menu.  

Anyway, I ordered the Steamed Luncheon Platter, which was supposed to consist of : steamed crab claws, steamed oysters, and steamed shrimp (unpeeled, head-on).  Ok, no problem, right?  HA!  WRONG.  The slop that arrived may have been steamed at some point in the last week, but certainly not when I ordered it.  It was all so dry and rubbery, not to mention it had some sort of crust on it (from being dried out, I suppose).  DH ordered a Grilled Mahi Sandwich.  If it was 'grilled' I'll kiss your ass.  More like pan heated.  And taste?  NONE.  I am not remotely exagerating.  He made it about 3/4 of the way through the sandwich, I got through one dry oyster, a few shrimp, and about 6 of the tiniest crab claws I'd ever seen.  

Now before you say "Why didn't you send it back?"  I will tell you why.  Our server was a dazed and confused nimrod who had his mind on other things besides his job.  He wasn't even the one to deliver the food to our table, however once it was dropped, he slid by long enough to say "Have everything?" and then we never saw him again.  Not until it was time for the check.  We paid, but just before leaving I scribbled on a napkin for whomever to see...."NOT IMPRESSED".

Needless to say, as we were leaving, we vowed to never return to that awful place.  Now for the topper to the whole ordeal.......I believe I recieved a mild case of food poisoning from the place.  Yep, we ate at around 1pm, and by 4pm I wasn't feeling well.  By 630pm I was camped on the comode, and I'll spare you the gorry details from there.  However, I've been visiting the potty about every 7 minutes.  I've had worse cases, mind you, and no, its NOT SWINE FLU. LOL  But that doesn't help matters.  It just ruins the evening, and really sucks.

So to all of my faithful readers, and all who may stumble upon this blog I offer this warning:

STAY AWAY FROM THE ORIGINAL OYSTER HOUSE IN MOBILE, ALABAMA!!!!

I'll blog later about our tour of the battleship....time to make my potty trip.

No comments: