Sunday, September 13, 2009

Geocaching

If you've never heard of it, you'll stop and say "What?" So I'll explain it with a quote from a t-shirt:

I use multi-million dollar satellites to find tupperware in the woods.

Yep, I use a GPS in the biggest game of Hide-and-Seek in the world. And I do mean WORLD. This thing is global. You go to the website, get signed up (free accounts are ok, but to download coordinates into your GPS, the $20 per year membership is well worth it), then start geocaching! Let me say, that to spend the money on a good GPS is a must for your sanity. I will explain....

Hubs and I decided to do this about a month ago. We decide to go low budget and get a low end GPS from a pawn shop. Not good. The screaming and yelling (on my part) and the tears(again, on my part), and even more yelling (on his part) was appalling. More than once, ok, about a dozen times I swore I wouldn't go out again. Yet time and again I was subjecting myself to torture. Finally I had had enough. It was then that the hubs purchase 2 different GPS units, and even though they were from pawn shops, they actually came with the required software, cords, etc. Suddenly, finding the tupperware in the woods was getting easier. We were getting the big ones, and I was learning to trust my GPS. I was actually finding these things! However, I wasn't completely sold. So I told the hubs...."You know, why don't you do this on your own. That way we can have some alone time"....well, he wasnt completely sold on that idea either. So we discussed it and never came to a real conclusion. It was dropped.

Then we arrive here in Atlanta, GA and all I wanted to do was sit in the motel room in my pajamas and rest. Play on the computer, nap, whatever. Not to be. Hubs comes to me, hands behind his back at the end of the bed, shuffling his feet, looking like a 5 year old that is scared to death....."Honey, I know you said you didn't want to do this anymore, but would you come out with me today?" *sigh* "What have you got?" I ask...."Big ones, just a few....please?" ggggrrrr, fine, I'll go.

So I downloaded the coordinates into the 2 units, and off we went. Within 2 hours we'd found all 4, and made it back to the motel for more. Six more caches later, along with a few scratches from trapsing through the woods, we made it back to the motel by 6pm. We managed to get through this without fighting....not even a small bit of tension. Shocking. I contribute some of that success to the fact that we also printed out driving directions to get us in the general vecinity, then used our GPS to get us on target. Also, 7 out of 10 were large, the other 3 were pill bottles. I admit today was a fun day in all our days of caching.

So there ya have it..... www.geocaching.com

1 comment:

'Tracey Garner said...

It sounds like fun. I will check it out.