Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A wonderful dream....

So there I am, sitting around, when suddenly the hubs says to me "How would you like to own an island? " ......"WHAT???"

And there he was, reading and researching owning a private island. Some cost more than others, some are bigger than others, and it all depends on what type of climate you want as to where they are.

Now comes the "How would we live?"......completely "off the grid". By that I mean, no electricity, no gas, nothing. We would live a total self sufficient lifestyle. Grow a garden, raise animals for milk, eggs, and meat. If there were other "wild things" on the island, we could hunt/trap as well. We would trap the rain water, and utilize any other natural springs on the island for hydro-power. Cooking over a fire, the whole bit. We would go to the main land about once a week if needed, mainly for mail and to sell any extra veggies; need money for gas for the boat!! LOL We would also sell stuff for other things like the tools for canning/preserving food, and as funny as it sounds, things like toothpaste and other sundries. Beyond that, we would be the only humans on the island. True Crusoe!!!

Will this happen? Oh how I would love it if it did!! IF, and I say again,....IF it happens, it will be a few years down the road. Don't need to rush into it and end up screwed. But can you imagine???

Could you do it????

4 comments:

The Handler said...

Would you be your own country? Jenland?

How much land are we talking about? Would you be able to have a house built or would you have to live in a grass hut?

You would have to have a generator. How else would you power your computer?

You could be Ginger but who would Greg be?

Jayne said...

Could I do it?........hmmm, yeah I reckon I could, particularly after having lived in some incredibly remote spots in Africa. Trouble is I don't know if I'd want to - perhaps 20yrs ago I would've jumped at the chance.
I'm getting old :-(
*sigh*

HD Chic said...

The Handler....no, it wouldn't be 'Jenland", but something definitely more creative, lol....we would build our own house. The island would be big enough for a huge house, but it would all be made for what was available on the island. All built by hand. We're talking at least a mile by a mile square. That is the minimum. I want enough for a garden, a house, land for the animals, and enough to where I can't see the other side. As for the computer, and the cell phone for that matter, they would be gone. This island would be to get away and stay away from the drama, and all the BS.

And Greg would be a combo of the Skipper and the Professor.

The Handler said...

I'll be your "Little Buddy".