Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Runnin' with the pack...or not

Since yesterday was cold and rainy, I stayed inside, in comfies all day. BUt today is a new day! High supposed to be 68, and sunny...woohoo! So after taking care of laundry and gettting it hung out, I decided to take Benjamin out for a romp in the back 40. Keep in mind, in all the times before he has gone with me, Elite, and Max. This time, it was 'just us'.

At first he hung right by my side, not real sure what to do. He has always followed Elite, and never really explored 'on his own'. But after some encouraging words, and me just walking along, he decided running on his own was great!. He never ventured out of eyesight, but he did seem to relax and enjoy the romp. Of course, he would come 'check in' with me, and even walk beside me for a bit, at which point he would get a 'good boy' and some rubs. I really think he enjoyed himself! And that got me to thinking......

I think I could train him to track. I don't know if it would be for SAR (Search And Rescue) or just for sport, like in Schutzhund, but I think he could do it. The one hang up right now is that even at almost 2 years old, he is still very much a puppy. His focus is minimal, lol. But I think I could slowly start laying the 'ground work' with him, in very small incriments. It would probably take at least a year to get things really going with him, and with the cooler weather, I might start. But as winter sets in, we'd have to put things on hold a bit, and start back up at first thaw. Even then, summer would be a bitch, as we'd have to do it in the wee morning hours, or late evenings. LOL...sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of it. Ah well, it would just be for fun anyway, lol.

Anyway, the point is, I think he had a good time today, running with his 'pack', even if it was just me! :) Love my "Snuggabear"

No comments: