Monday, November 29, 2010

Potential?

A few nights ago, DH and I were casually watching TV and surfing the 'net, when DH looks at me ands says "Did you know there is a K-9 training facility just up the road?" and he gives me the website of the facility. trains Slovakian GSD's, for everything it seems. Personal protection, Explosive/Narcotic detection, and much more. At first all I could think was, how did I miss this? So, I sent the owner a message, explaining my 8 years of EDD(Explosive Detector Dog) experience and letting him know I'd like to get back into the field. So last night he called me, and despite the shitty connection, we were able to discuss a few things. He seemed like he was interested in my EDD experience, and will call today to set up a meeting. I just hope he understands that I don't work for free. I'm not sure even IF he'll hire me, and I'm also not sure that if he does what his pay rate would be. Anything at $10 or less per hour is out of the question. If I'm going to be TRAINING his dogs, I'm looking at $15+. But we'll see what happens.

In other news, Old Man Winter has, I believe, officially moved in. The temps have been below freezing for several days, and the surrounding mountains are getting snow. DH left last night to head south for the dairy to deliver more hay. We find it works better if he leaves the evening before, then he is able to deliver first thing in the morning. But yesterday evening he actually encountered snow, snowplows, and salt trucks. I think if he'd have waited until later in the evening, or even today, I think he'd have had a rough go of it. But I believe that by the time he starts his journey back (6 hours one way) that the snow will have melted off the roads.

A few days ago I rode along to deliver hay to a different location. A farm outside of Springer, NM. The woman that owned it (with her husband) was there and she was really cool. She shared most all of the same hobbies/interests that I did,(only she has the money to support said hobbies)so we had a nice time chatting. She gave me a tour of her greenhouse. WOW. She had a really, really nice one, with heat sensors to auto vent the house, a heated floor, and wonderfully terraced benches for all her plants. It was dug into the ground, so the bottom half was well insulated. It also had a root cellar of sorts dug further into the small hill, where she could store her veggies. Slate floors, and even using slated sandstone that made the walls to her terraced raised beds. Soaker hoses ran throughout her raised beds as well. She uses organic potting soil, simply because she doesn't have the animals to provide the manure to make her own soil/compost. She then gave me the most wonderfully tasting pumpkin muffin, baked from pumpkins she'd grown herself. Again, WOW. soooo yummy! Yesterday DH delivered another load to her, and was treated to a slice of pumpkin pie, of which he raved about for what seemed to be eternity! LOL I just wished I lived closer to her, (she is 3 hours away) so that we could share ideas and our hobbies. Yes, I like living in the boonies, and so does she, but we both agreed that having someone with a common interest close by would be nice. Oh well. Maybe one day it will work in my favor.

So, there is much going on, but nothing going on, all at the same time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.