Monday, October 15, 2007

JND

After pounding out a semi-rushed blog last night, and further thought this morning, I wanted to put this out there.

For The Handler and myself, we know what JND stands for, and is....and as for the others who read this, I'm sure you know what it is, you just don't call it JND.

JND = Just Noticeable Differenc

This is when there is the slightest of change in your dog's body/body language. For example: Your dog is "on point", you say his name, and all you see is a slight ear twitch...JND....Your dog is asleep, you whisper his name, and get a tail twitch, or ear twitch...JND....in Detection work, a slight head turn during a search...JND....You get the point.

So yesterday, Greg was standing out by Carlo's kennel. Carlo was standing there, tail wagging, ears relaxed, body relaxed, and the slight avoidance of prolonged eye contact. I told Greg to watch his dog, and walked casually over to the kennel. It was slight, but the tail stopped wagging, the ears went slightly forward, and his body tensed. It looked as if he "puffed up". He looked directly at me, and his whole "aura" was that of being on guard, ready to spring, or posturing in that "I'm bigger than you" stance...JND. It was then that I think the light really came on for Greg....he understood how Carlo is towards me. I have talked for years about JND, but I think he really saw and knew what I was talking about at that moment.

I type this blog, not only to illustrate JND, but also in a response to Novel....I don't think its a thyroid issue, or low electrolites....I thougth initially that your idea really might be a possibility. But after seeing his attitude yesterday, and comparing that to his bad attitude for the last 2 weeks, I think its just me. I think that if he acted rude to Greg as well, then other ideas such as yours would be a definite consideration. But alas, it just comes down to the fact that the dog genuinly hates me...lol.

Anyway, I wanted to put that out there, for all you dog lovers, and as future reference or explaination of "what is my dog doing?", "I think my dog is ignoring me". Its said that everytime we learn something new, our brains get a new wrinkle....congratulations, I give you wrinkles!! LOLOL

No comments: