Monday, November 19, 2007

Musings....

Well, I can't say that anything exciting has been going on. Like everyone else in the USA, we are getting by. Its funny how you can have tons of life experience...heck, 20 years worth even, but when you are applying for a job, they want to see it on paper. So, since you can't put "Life" in the "experience" block of an application, they instead choose the irresponsible 22 year old with the bachelor's degree who is still living with mom and dad. Ok, so that was a rant.

Yesterday was yucky and rainy, so I layed in the chair all day....other than the wonderful phone conversation with Novel, nothing exciting happened (unless you count baking cookies exciting...lol)

Today however, something neat happened. I was out in the pasture with the dogs, burning off some energy, when my girl Elite flushed a buck out of the ravine. As for size, he was very large, but he was young. Only 4 points (2 on each side) and they were small, too. But it was the darndest thing.....he came up out of the ravine, and just stood there looking at me. We were about 30 yards apart and it was for about 5 seconds, but wow, he was gorgeous. Of course, me without the camera (I debated taking it, wish I would have listened to my gut on this one!) or a gun. Of course, I don't have a hunting license, but who would have known? There are so many hunters around here, nobody would have known. Oh well. But what happened next was equally as beautiful. Ben, my Mastiff (who will be a year old in about 3 weeks) looked at the buck, and when it took off, so did Ben. He was in full stride, nothing puppy about him. I have never seen him, or any other Mastiff run so fast, with such long strides....it was truely a sight to see. He ran hard for about 150 yards, obviously out-run by the buck, and came lumbering back with his tongue hanging to the ground and a big smile on his face. He was so proud! LOL Max, my JRT was too busy eating racoon poop to care, and I guess Elite decided it was below her to chase deer. No matter, I think Ben expended all of his energy for today and tomorrow in the brief sprint. Too cool.

Earlier today however, I looked out the back door to see this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

You guessed it...that is my Ben, lounging on TOP of the hot tub!! I'm glad the lid didn't cave in with his 125lb butt on it. But I guess he thought he was the king sitting up there.....what a goofball.

In other news, I found an interesting website in my neverending search for knowledge concerning gardening, raising chickens, canning veggies, fruit, and meat, and any other notion to do with "simple" living. All a part of getting back to my "roots" I guess....or going green if you prefer that term. www.backwoodshome.com

They have bloggers on there that answer questions and talk about daily "simple" life. Recipes, techniques, sewing, gardening, hunting, ect. I've only scratched the surface of this site, but as far as I can tell, its a good one and I recommend it to all of my "simple life" friends. I also like www.seedsavers.org . They deal mostly in heirloom and organic veggies and fruits. Nice site.

So there ya go....a few thoughts from my neck of the woods. I guess next time I'll take the camera....you just never know!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, let's pool our resources and buy a plot of land in Montana... don't think I'm not serious!

Also, check out the publication "Countryside" produced out of some small town in Wisconsin, can't remember which. Great articles, all doing the live from the land thing. Very neat!! I've got some back issues to send ya if you want to see! (And maybe I'll send you back that book I borrowed a year ago and have yet to return! Or maybe I'll just hold it for ransom until you visit me up here!)

HD Chic said...

LOL....ransom?? Funny, I was just thinking about that book the other day, wondering if your time has permitted some light reading...lol...no rush, I know its safe with you.

Montana? Hhhhmmmm, short growing season, harsher conditions....how about....oh heck, now I'm going to have to look at the map...lmao