Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What if......?

So, in my spare time (deep note of sarcasm) I got to thinking.....What if the world as we know it was suddenly plunged into a completely different way of life. What I mean is, what if for whatever reason, we lost everything. Cars, electricity, phone, etc. Thats right...no computers, no cell phones, no radio, no TV, no light bulbs, no washing machine/dryer, nothing. What if the world was made to suddenly live like the early settlers,...or Pioneers if you prefer that term. Could you do it?

Could you make your own clothes? No shopping, remember. Could you make your own bread, hunt for your own meat, or grow your own food? Could you stand the thought of going out to the outhouse? Or only taking a bath about once a week? Ladies, could you handle going through your menstrual cycle with only rags pinned to your underwear? Could you go through daily tasks wearing dresses? Men, could you handle going out everyday to chop firewood? Could you use only a horse and plow and have a good crop for you and your family? Could you stand sleeping next to your spouse who doesn't shave...EVER??? Could any of you go through life only having sex when you wanted to have a child? No birth control, remember. Keeping in mind that the more you have, the more you have to feed. Could you live in a 2 room cabin?

I think to an extent, this way of life has been romantisized through TV shows like Little House on the Prarie, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, etc. I personally think only about 25% of our population in the USA would survive. I think that 50% would probably kill each other. Bad thought, I know, but probably more true than we would like to admit. So that leaves 50% left....of that, 25% couldn't handle the lifestyle, and would either starve or freeze to death....so thats what is left. A small percentage of people who could possibly handle it. These people aren't scared to butcher a cow, pig, chicken, deer, etc. They aren't scared to be out in the garden, ankle deep in dirt, working the crop. They aren't worried about getting up early to build the fire, do the chores of feeding livestock, chopping wood, gathering water, etc. These people live off of meat and potatoes, they are familiar with animals, aren't scared to hunt, and know that it takes work to survive. It is also these people that could really care less about the computer, the cell phone, the TV. I think that these people carry more of the pioneer blood in them than others. That strong will, the need to be with the earth, the want to do for themselves.

I have been doing a lot of reading up on this lifestyle. And more people than you think are turning to a more simple way of life. Sefl reliance it is called...also voluntary reliance, simple living, etc. If you go to Ask.com, and just type in self reliance living, you'll get a whole host of sites chocked full of info. Some even call it Homesteading. Like I say, I've been doing a lot of reading, trying to educate myself on this way of life. No, I don't have an outhouse, and obviously I've still got my computer. But I often wonder how little stress I would have without these "conveniences". Just imagine, not having to drive to the grocery, checking ingredients, price comparing, battleing the crowd, and finally, going through that check out line that is a mile long. Then battleing traffic on the way home...ugh. Just imagine...going to your pantry/cellar and grabbing all you need for the evening meal. Working hard during the day and seeing the fruits of your labor. Going to bed TIRED....not just going to bed because its dark. Working with the land, actually GAINING something from your hard work, instead of worrying if your pay is worth the effort. No modern conveniences means no bills. No heat bill, no electric bill, no filling up on $3 or $4 gas, no phone bill, etc...NO BILLS. That alone could make me go pitch a tent somewhere.

SO, could you handle it? Could you really do it? I truely believe I could.

3 comments:

stevedimatteo said...

I could do without all the headaches of everyday life, but I don't know if I could survive the chaos and possible apocalypse that would result from a sudden disappearance of resources. Interesting thoughts, though.

Unknown said...

I think you are being overly positive. If there was some sort of technology fallout, I think that 10% or less would make it one year or more. People simply don't have the survival skills they used to have. Sure, they could survive a summer, with a garden already planted, but turn winter, with only their stores and their hunting prowess to rely upon, I think most would become malnourished and sick or just out and out starve before the summer crops were ready to eat again.

Hubby and I have romanticized about living "off the grid" or by similar, and maybe someday we'll make that leap, but for now, we mingle.

Just think though, no bills to pay for things you really never use and definitely don't need, no phones to answer. When you need something big done, you have a group of friends, that live nearby, that help, and vice versa. Your success and failure takes on a much more real tone, and is so much more personal. Life is hard, but it's also leisurely. If you don't do something, there is a very real effect, unlike now, where if I want to huddle in a corner for a week, nothing really changes. McD's still makes food, no matter how lazy or productive I've been.
Again, it's not without it's pitfalls... hard labor, real disease and injury, no retirement plan... but, I think it's worth it and beautiful!

HD Chic said...

In a book that was given to me by my father, it says something about how long it took the pioneers to build a house, barn, etc, and how the modern carpenter would say that building that way would cost too much, and that back then they had more time to do things. Not true....it stated how much more rich we are (obviously) and how they used their time more wisely then. It was nothing for farmers in the summer months to work their fields at night. Their eyesight was much more keen then, they worked hard for a common goal, etc. Maybe I'll start putting little excerpts from that book here on occassion.

Yes, I think it would be great to live off the grid. I often tell the hubby how we are all sick because of all the crap put into our foods, our water, our air.

I think maybe you are right, I was being generous with the numbers. I also think I am becoming obsessed with this thought process. I've been researching tons of stuff, and now am looking at "how to make your own tools", and identifying trees, and which are best for tool-making.

Maybe you and I should start writing letters? LOLOL

Yes, hard labor, the risk of disease, but wow, the thought of self reliance....it is a beautiful thought.