Sunday, April 19, 2009

Being spoiled, a dead town, and possibly other musings


So once again, I haven't blogged in forever...please accept my apologies.

Currently, we are in Perry, FL....I think at one time this town was actually something to see, however, it's time has gone. Like any other small town in America, it has suffered from the recession. However, I think it was suffering long before that. The motel we are staying at is clean, and somewhat spacious. Thats really all I can say about it. We drove around Perry (took about 5 minutes due to a stop light or 2) and landed at WalMart. That was our entertainment. We also ate at the infamous Golden Corral...HA!! I can say I've never been in one that was designed quite like this one. We almost had to search for the cashier, and evidently there is a 2 plate per person maximum. We wanted more salad and had to locate our own plates. Not to mention that every waitress (all over the age of 50) seemed stuck in 1985, or, at least their hair was. Thank the gods their make-up didn't reflect said genre. And I also find it funny how every waiter/waitress in the south seems shocked and on the line of appauled when you order UNSWEET tea....LMAO


Anyway, we are only here for one night, then moving on 
after we test 10 people (that will take about 10 min). We start testing at 0700, however we need to be there at 0630,and we should be outta there by 0800. Then we drive 195 miles and a time zone change to Panama City, FL. Again, another fast job of 10 people. Then, thanx to our scheduler who seems to not look at where things are located when he books them, we are traveling 85 miles BACK the direction we just came from and going to Talahassee, FL for a whopping 14 people. I'm so glad I don't have to pay for the gas on these adventures!! LOL Thursday and Fr
iday we'll be in Alabama, another time change...I swear (alot) I'm going to be so screwy by the end of the week I won't know what time zone I'm in!!

Now, on to being spoiled. Generaly speaking, I'm low maintenance. However, my wonderful DH has launched me into another world on this trip. A
s much as I kick and scream, I have fallen victim to some points of the high maintenance world. Every 2 weeks I go in and get my nails done. Yes, they are acryli
c, and quite a thing to get used to, especially when typing. Another point I have fallen into is make-up. Not saying I never wore any, I just tended to slap it on in a hurry and go with it. Not any more. I went to a store called Sephora, where the girl plopped me in a chair, handed me a round cotton pad about 2 inches in diameter with a blue goop on it, and said, "wipe this on your eyelids, get off the make up you have on"...um, ok. She then handed me another pad with a clea
r liquid on it and said "wipe this over your face and get t
he rest of your make-up off". I will give her credit, she was very nice. After removing the mud from home, she put some wonderful lotion on my face, which greatly reduced the redness (possible rosacia) that I get every time I wash. It felt really nice, too. Soothing, even. I made a mental note to purchase the make-up remover and moisturizer. She then went to work on me, taking the time to give me a basic 'play by play' so I would know what to do when left to my own devices. As you can probably assume, that wonderful (not) woman who gave birth to me never showed
 me the proper way to apply make-up, or how to dress like a woman. There are many other 'girl' things she never explained, either, which I had to find out how to deal with and how to handle on my own. Anyway, when all was said and done, I have to admit I looked really good, and not like a gooped up clown. By the time I left the store, I had a bag full of products.  Today I put my knew knowledge to the test, and guess what? Much to my surprise, I came out looking just like I did yesterday....WOOT! DH also bought me some new jeans....th
ey were on sale at Aeropostle for $10, regular price $40, not a bad deal if you ask me.

In other news, time seems to just be flying by. Seems the weeks just begin when they are over. I keep telling people its like getting paid to be on vacation. I get to travel all over, meet new people and see new places.   One girl in the nail salon said "wow, I go to the same building, the same cubicle, and look at the same computer everyday!"  All I could
 think was "Your choice."  

Anyway, 20 Apr 09 is my youngest son's 10th birthday.  So I'd like to say 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUBBA!!


I'll also say, I still wonder how Benjamin is doing, although no news has been posted, I assume he is still where I sent him, and still ok.  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perry's not dead yet, but we might be in a few years. If the pulp mill closes down, we're screwed--it's the largest employer.

HD Chic said...

To Anonymous: First, thank you for not only reading my blog, but taking the time to comment on it. I'd like to say please don't take offense to the description of Perry. Your town is not the first, nor will it be the last that I travel through that has suffered these hard times. Hell, many towns that I lived in as a young adult are dead or dieing as we speak. It can happen to the best of us! I simply call them like I see them....fault me for my honesty, or straight forwardness, either way.

I hope you continue to follow my blog, and I believe that as long as the world is using paper products, your town is safe. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, definitely no offense taken. I know my little town doesn't have much going on! :-) But, I'm a small town guy, and I like it just the same. But I really do fear for the future; that mill isn't going to be open forever, and we have no other industry here.