Saturday, August 15, 2009

I don't get it...

Call me what you want; scream at me; flame me ; whatever. But I am going to say my opinion, regardless of what you say, and here it is.....

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people here in the USA insist on adopting young babies/children from foreign countries. Famous people (Madonna, Brad Pitt, and countless others) as well as not so famous people feel the need to go to China, Japan, India, Ethiopia, Indonesia, etc to get their kids. WHY? There are so many children here in your HOME COUNTRY than need a family. All ages, all backgrounds, all needs. So please tell me why in the hell you would adopt from overseas???

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the foreign children are any less deserving of a home, but what is wrong with American kids? What makes them LESS deserving that the others?

The reason I've brought this up is because I was sitting in a deli and overheard 2 couples (they were well off financially) discussing the adoption one couple was in the process of. It was a nightmare listening to them brag on the "most adorable 2 year old Chinese child" they were adopting. I was sick. They were bragging about how they had to travel to China, and the cost, and how they had to spend over a week there going through all of the protocol. They were also discussing all of the medical screenings the child had to go through, and how they had to get a medical lawyer to do this. They were also talking about "how cute' it was that the child was able to say "mommy" and "daddy" in her native language.....this means the child is still living with her parents!!! ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME??? Nice, ripping this child from her family....of course, the parents are allowing this, but the child has no idea whats happening. How cruel.

My question is....WHY??? Can anyone offer any insight?

4 comments:

The Handler said...

Because American kids are too common. They have to have something rare. I bet they would also have to have a rare type of dog.

HD Chic said...

Oh I forgot, kids are a novelty for the rich, same as dogs. Thanx for reminding me.

Jayne said...

I also have no idea why people choose to travel to strange countries & adopt a child, when they can opt to do the exact same thing in their own country - especially the USA, which is so friggin big! It's only natural adoption agencies try to adopt children of the same race/culture as prospective parents, but when that fails, they naturally start looking at other race groups & cultures, but to the best of my knowledge, its done within the borders of their own country. Nowadays, I personally feel that so called 'buyers' of babies go to 3rd world countries to choose their little bundles (that grow up like puppies to dogs etc) to avoid the necessary checks adoptive agencies in their own country has.

I see in the news today that Elton John & his 'missus' want to adopt a 14mth old toddler from the Ukraine. He's 62yrs old FFS!! He'll pay a heap of money, avoid all the rules & regs & become a new daddy. Sad, very, very sad.

HD Chic said...

I agree Jayne, I think people find it so hard to adopt over here that they just avoid any hassle and go overseas. I'm not saying they are less deserving, but maybe the rules are there for a reason.