Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Garden

Finally! Yes, finally the weather has warmed up enough that I can till the ground and actually plant something in it! woohooo!!! What started out as a small idea..."lets just use this corner"....went to a garden that will be 70 feet long by 30 feet wide. I am so excited! So far, I've got peas, green beans, radishes, Vidalia onions, and gourds planted. I still need to get the peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, and califlower in. I can't guarantee I'll actually get anything out of this. It is a known fact that I have never gardened anything in my life, so this should be interesting. Hell, the hubby and I had a long discussion as to whether to plant in rows or furrows. How should I know? So we dug rows, and since he has waaayy more gardening experience than I do, I am watching, and listening intently to everything he says/does.

So here are some pictures of the 'before' and 'after'. The tractor/mower is the In-Law's, and we got the tiller from the equipment rental place. (no, that is not the name of it, but that's what they do..lol) I got a quick lesson in how to run the thing from the hubby and his brother. They actually stood back and watched me, which I found funny. They aren't used to a woman doing that sort of thing, so of course I had to get up there and show them that boobs don't make you stupid. But they seemed to approve of my work and actually didn't appear nervous during the whole process, so that's a good thing.

BEFORE:

Photobucket

DURING:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

AFTER:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You can see here where we planted....

Photobucket

And finally, hubby surveying our work....

Photobucket

Photobucket

And a quick brief on other news:

Baby chicks arrive on Monday, so I need to take this weekend and get their new homes ready. They won't be outside just yet, as they will only be a day old when they arrive. So I am setting up a couple of small 'kiddie pools' in the back room so they can be monitored, kept warm, and free of drafts. These chicks will be raised for food. *waits for the animal rights people to flame this post* I will be getting 50 chicks in the mail, and I'm of course going to post lots of pictures of their arrival and progress. :)

5 comments:

The Handler said...

That is a big ass garden. I think you need some watermelons. We all know that boobs don't make women stupid. Boobs make men stupid.

HD Chic said...

and that is why I keep you around, to remind me of things to do! We are also going to have a patch of strawberries, I forgot to mention those..lol :)

If I plant watermelon, will that get you and the wife to visit? ;)

The Handler said...

Michelle was very impressed with the size of your garden. When I told her how big it was she said "Holly sh*t". I'm sure she would like to see it.

Do you not eat corn?

Unknown said...

Hun, I love the garden!!! But i already told you that!!

You are going to be so busy, just don't run yourself out of time, oryou're going to be disappointed. Like you said today, your list of morning chores is getting longer and longer, and baby chicks, and weeding and planting and everything else is going to make that more so... But, I know you'll keep up with it all. You got lots of busy energy just screaming to get out.

LOL@ the handler... you're right about the boobs. LOL

Oh, and don't forget asparagus. It takes a few years to get going, so start now, so I can have some later!!

Jayne said...

Wow, what a garden! You have a beautiful place there hon & I envy you :-)
I had a great garden in Kenya, which I started from scratch. We became totally self-sufficient with tomatoes, onions, mealies (corn), peas, green beans & lettuce. *sigh, brings back fond memories*
It will keep you busy hon, but your home grown stuff will taste so much nicer than any store bought food. Don't forget to post photos of the progress please!