Sunday, January 25, 2009

Iowa, Florida, the road inbetween, and other musings...

I know its been FOREVER since I last blogged. I could throw out lots of reasons for this, but why? I'll just get right into whats been going on since my last entry. This may be a long one, or it may cut short, I don't know yet. I do know there will be pictures, and the usual sprinkling of bad language, and the ocassional rant. Whats new, right?

Ok, so last I left you all, we were leaving Rockford, IL for Muscatine, IA to work. We arrive at our hotel, and the temps are dropping fast. Lots of snow, wind, and below freezing temps. Did I mention I hate the freakin' cold? Anyway, we get checked in and meet up with our trainer (the crazy one) to get our times and duties figured out. That done, we go eat and rest.

The whole week we were testing folks on resperators, hearing, and what is called a PFT...Pulminary Fitness Test. Basically, lung capacity. Long story there, but I'll leave it at that. Mornings start early, usually around 0530, and the days are long. We break at 0930 for an hour, then back at it til 1430. Now I know you're thinking that its not that long, but let me tell ya, when you're up at 0400, testing about 100 people a day, 1430 is long. Also, after we stop testing, there's an hour's worth of paperwork, then we go eat (that's another hour) then back to the motel. By the time you wind down, shower, etc. Its almost 1900. By then, I'm wiped out.

Anyway, we made it through the week with really no hassles other than the weather. At one point we weren't sure if the car would start, being as it was 17 below (F) with a wind chill of 40 below zero. Holy shit thats cold!! On Friday we were cut loose early (0930) due to a couple of factors... 1: we had a long drive ahead of us, and 2: we learned that portion of the job quicker than most.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So off we head to NC. NC you ask? Yep, we wanted to stop and see my dad before heading to FL. We made it to NC on Saturday evening, and got checked in.

Photobucket

We had a real nice time with my dad and left on Monday morning. Of course, for those of you that have been following this all along, you all know that the woman who gave birth to me also lives in the same town as my dad. Now, I haven't heard from this bitch since July, and figured she would find out in one way or another that I was in town. And she did. We are driving down the road on Monday, and suddenly my cell rings....its her. How coincendental! You don't call for 6 months, and suddenly you "want to talk." PFT...what the fuck ever!! Obviously she left a voicemail, which I laughed at and deleted.

Anyway, we had a nice drive all day. Enjoying the sun, and continuously warming temps.

Photobucket

We had fun looking at all the sights, and just enjoying the views with NO SNOW!!

Photobucket

And if any of you get a chance, eat here:

Photobucket


Arriving in FL, we of course see the cruise ship in port,

Photobucket

and the cool bridges,

Photobucket

Anyway, our arrival was fairly eventless, and our week was very busy, but went well!! We are at a paper mill and box factory. I'll talk about that later, because at the moment, I want to go to the beach!! Sooooo, all my loyal readers, you'll have to wait for the rest of the story...maybe today, maybe tomorrow!! I'm a bitch, ain't I? xxx

2 comments:

Jayne said...

Crikey, you're getting about! Nice that you got to see your dad tho hon :-)
I gotta say, I'm really curious as to what kinda jobs you guys are taking up?

HD Chic said...

Ah Jayne, so good to hear from you! I'll talk about the actual job in the next entry...and we found a HD dealer that rents for great prices, so you know what I'll be doing real soon!!! :p