Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rambling on....

Ok, so I've waited probably a week to get back to this blog, and I'm sure lots of you are wondering WTF? Ok, maybe not 'lots' of you, but I can dream, right? lol

So here's the scoop....DH and I work for a company that does hearing tests, resperator tests, vision tests, and Pulminary Fitness Tests. We travel around our territory (I'll tell ya that part in a bit) and go to different factories and plants that have scheduled us to test their employees. We mostly do hearing, but ocassionally we'll do the other tests. These tests are conducted in a mobile trailer that has been modified on the inside with an office and a sound proof booth. Our trailer can hold 10 people, all sitting in their own booth to test. There are 2 doors on the side. The front door is to our office, the back door for the people to go in and out. Its a pretty cool outfit, really. Most folks are amazed that we can fit 10 people comfortably in it, lol. You'll have to wait on pics, as I have to get some hard copies first before I put them on the computer.

Anyway, we have spent the last couple of weeks with a trainer, who has been helping us get into a routine and learn whats what with the computer portion. Giving the test isn't hard, but knowing what reports to print, which ones to save, who gets what, etc...plus what needs printing and sent to the main office...it all gets overwhelming, but we are learning. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed in myself. I figured I would have no problems learning what was what but it seems my brain is taking a vacation and I'm having a harder time. But the trainer and DH insist that its not me, its that I've only done the whole process from beginning to end 3 times, lol. I'll get it eventually, I'm sure.

As for our territory....there are 12 sets of Technicians all over the U.S.A. and each is assigned to a different section. So our section, or territory, is Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and some of North/South Carolina. There is one set of Techs that are strictly in Texas, simply because the state is so huge, lol.

We've spent our time here in Jacksonville in the same extended stay type motel, which is fine. I hate packing and unpacking every other day. This place is like a small apartment. 2 beds, a 2 burner stove, full size refrigerator, and microwave. Limited counterspace, but thats ok. So we've been trying to eat back here at the room. Its hard though; I mean, there are so many neat and interesting restaurants around, and I want to try them all!!! Now that, of course, does not fit in with my "get back into shape" plan that I had. *sigh* what to do? lol

On that note, DH and I found the coolest bicycle shop the other day. The guy is from Texas, (like most he is a transplant to FL) and he was very cool. He sells the ever-popular 'beach cruiser' type bikes. They have wide seats (perfect for my big ass), wide handlebars, and big fat tires for cruising on the sand. I found one that I just fell in love with, but I'm not sure I want to pay $400+ for a bike! LOL Its black, with silver flames, which are outlined in hot pink. The wheels are hot pink as well, with big fat white-wall tires. Even the seat has matching flames....freakin' awsome!!! Jayne, you'd definitely understand if you saw it, LOL :D Point being, we are thinking of getting a couple of bikes. Its just too nice out to sit, and we can't rent a Harley all the time, plus, we need the exercise.

All in all, I really am liking the job. I get to meet so many people, and although they aren't keen on testing, I can usually get them to laugh and have a good time. I was given a tour of a box plant. I tell ya, if you don't know how boxes are made, you'd be amazed if you saw the process. Its pretty neat!! Next week we get to go to the Anhueser-Busch beer plant which should be fun. Sometime we'll also get to do Busch Gardens amusement park, as well as the Wrigley Gum plant. I'm pretty excited about them all!!

So, I'm off to enjoy another weekend. Its going to be chilly this coming week, but thats ok!!!! :)

3 comments:

The Handler said...

Get me a number to someone in charge of the Anhueser-Busch beer plant and let me know what day you well be there. If we don't hear from you for 48 hours we will know who to call.

Jayne said...

Wow, what an interesting job you 2 have gone for! My dad has industrial deafness - i,e, he can hear a pin drop in a noisy envirnment, but can hear bugger all in a quiet place, so I know & understand just how much you're services will be appreciated :-)
As for the bikes - well a coupla things spring to mind; my folks are (finally) coming to AD this month & I recently saw there were some real old fashioned (but brand new) tricycles which we can rent for riding along about 3-4km of pristine corniche, so I'm keen to give it a bash - fat ass & all! The other thing is about Harleys - HD USA is laying workers off & I'm crying out for a friggin TriGlide, but HD USA ain't shipping any outside of their home turf & to me, that sucks big time. If y'all come across a dealer who has a new TriGlide in stock, can you please email me asap hon, cos I'll friggin import the thing myself if I have to!
Take care & enjoy the ride :-)

HD Chic said...

Handler....me? lost at the beer plant?? noooooooo

Jayne, of course I'll keep my eye out for ya!! Anything for my HOG sister!! And let me tell ya, you ain't got any fatter an ass than me!! :D