Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Catching up

This particular entry has been in the making for several weeks, but it seems just when I get it right in my head, I get too busy to type, or seem to lose it in the vast expanse of wasteland known as 'jenz brain'. lol. So, I'll start this out, and hopefully get written what has been floating around.

I wanted to talk about Jacksonville, FL, and cities in general. Those that know me, know I'm a country girl at heart, and love the acres of land that seperate me from my neighbor. Don't get me wrong, I've spent my fair share of time in the city, but I'd much rather live in the 'booneys'. That being said, while in Jacksonville driving from a job the sun was just coming up. It was reflecting off of the many windows of the big high rise buildings, and I was awestruck. The architecture was beautiful, and the set of each building seemed to invite the sun. For the first time I could say "wow, that city-scape is beautiful." I enjoyed driving across the bridge, just admiring that reflection, the rays filtering down in streams to the people below. Stunning.

The other part of the city I wanted to talk about was how it seemed there was a gym, Oriental restaurant, and pawn/thrift shop on every block. I know that sounds crazy, but it couldn't be more true. It was the craziest thing...you could go shopping, eat supper, then go work it off at the gym, all in the same trip! And modes of transportation seem to vary, as in every city. However, the mode of choice down here seems to be a bicycle. Why not? No gas, inexpensive to purchase, and can weave through a traffic jam with no problems, lol.

Other things I wanted to talk about....anyone who knows me, (and I mean KNOWS me) or who even pays attention to my writings knows that with some things I stay pretty general. What I mean is in order to not stir up too much dust, or to spare people involved in my blog the issue of revealing their identity, I stay general. I also speak/write in situations, again, so as not to pinpoint individuals. However, it seems even this gets me in trouble. My generalization has been confused with me being 'insensitive' to a particular "THING". So let me address it this way...NEVER, and I mean NEVER have I ever thought of the DOG I gave away as a THING. NOBODY, not even the DH, knows how long and hard I cried the day I gave him to this person. So to be accused of being insensitive to the situation is just down right insulting. Hell, I cried when I sold my fucking chickens!! I get so sick of this 'back and forth' bullshit. I simply try to explain my feelings on a situation, and all you need to do is read the comments to know what I'm talking about. 'Nuff said.

So...where are we now? We are in a tiny town in southern Florida. Indiantown, to be exact. There literally is nothing in this town. One gas station, a small grocery store, one restaurant, and the rest is run down to nothing. I think this town used to be something really nice at one time. And to be 'politically correct', I'll keep my mouth shut as to why I think it has gone downhill. However, there is a small gem in this rough pile of dirt. Its the hotel we are staying at, called The Seminole Inn. We are near Lake Okeechobee, and this hotel is the only historic landmark. Hell, its the only hotel! LOL But its really quaint. Like a Bed & Breakfast, combined with a modern hotel. They have a small restaurant, and a small gift shop, which contains not only hand-made soap (made by the owner) but also home-made james, jellies, and butters for sale. All throughout the main lobby are antiques that are part of the decore, as well as pictures giving us a visual history of the hotel. Upstairs there is another large sitting area, complete with a small wicker set for the children, a piano, and a reading nook. The walls upstairs in the hallways are painted with beautiful murals depicting the history of Indiantown, to include Chief Osceola. Each room is connected in some way, usually by the items...quilts, hats, or pictures. Our room is a western type theme. Blue and red quilts on the beds, pictures of the original owner on his horses, and even some kids' clothes (jeans, western style shirts) hanging on a make shift clothes line on the wall. Its really cute. One other room we looked at was in a fancy Victorian style. Very nice. The towels in the bathroom actually have color, not the same old scratchy white ones in normal hotels. These are soft and fluffy...not to mention the Earth friendly soaps that are provided...they smell wonderful!

After this job, we'll be off to Ft. Pierce, then in Miami and the surrounding area til the middle of March, possibly after. I'll try to blog more, but it won't be in the next couple of days. Tomorrow we work from 10pm - 2am, ugh.

I'm sure there is more subject matter floating around, but my brain has decided to shut down for the night. Sooooo....until I get it worked back up again, I'll have to stop here. Maybe I'll start hand writing my thoughts so I can transfer them here without interuption.

No comments: