Sunday, June 21, 2009

Opp, Alabama

Do not ever go there....ever. This is but one of many armpits of the USA I have been to. However, this is the first one I will strongly advise any reader to please not stop in this town for anything, no matter what. Here is my story......

This town is small, and rundown. Not the first one like it that we have been in. We are staying in the Best Western, which is new (thank the gods). However, the young boy at the front desk was lonely (its all I can figure). I asked a simple "yes" or "no" question, and the boy launches into a 10 minute retort. *sigh* He then proceeded to nervously tell us about our room, and wished us the best. We were to let him know if we needed anything. He then (as we were walking away) pulls out a map that someone had made on the computer showing the restaurants and gas stations around. Hhhmmmm....He starts asking what we like to eat, showing us various places, recommending the Mexican Restaurant. Ok, we drove by there and it was closed. This map also showed a WalMart just up the road......IT WAS 12 MILES UP THE ROAD IN THE NEXT TOWN!! Are you kidding me? But let me digress a bit....

We drive several miles, not seeing said WalMart, decide it doesn't exist, turn around and go to the Subway in town. I should have turned around and left as soon as I crossed the threshold. All I will say (so I don't get arrested for being a complete racist) is that the people running it were mising the red dot on their forehead. I stepped up to the counter, and the girl mumbles "one minute" because she is busy putting raw bacon into a container next to the tomatos. Again, I should have left because she proceeded to not just set it aside, but slowly put the entire 5 layers from the cookie sheet into this container. DH asked me "Are you ready to order?" (really loud) and she finally finished her ohsoimportant project to help us. I had to tell her "Foot long, on white bread, ham and cheese" THREE TIMES......she then got out the bread and slapped it onto the counter, looked at DH with a questioning look, and waited. He had to tell her TWICE "Foot long bmt on wheat"......after she cut open the bread, she just grabbed whatever cheese was handy and was literally THROWING it on the sandwich. DH piped up and said "pepperjack for me" and she proceeded to do the same. She then placed 6, count 'em...6 pieced of ham on my sandwich. Ham sliced so thin I could see through it. She then took the pre-measured amount of meat for DH's sandwich and just slapped it on. I had to tell her to place my cheese properly on the bread. I then told her I wanted tomatos.....mistake. They were almost green, and the stems were still on the slices. I immediately told her to take them off, because they looked awful. I received another blank stare, and again I repeated "take them OFF, they are GROSS"....she then grabbed them into a handful and threw them back into the container from whence they came. I said "ok, lettuce" pfffttt.....that was strewn all over, then I asked for lite mayo, which was squirted on as if she was having a seizure. Same with the chipotle sauce. ugh. DH had to go through the same bullshit treatment.....we should have walked out.....shouldn't have even ordered. Instead we expressed our disappointment as we left, although I don't believe she cared. \

We proceeded to the motel, thinking we would ask the front desk boy where the WalMart actually was. What did we find? A relative of the Subway worker.....gggrrrr....she was talking on her cell phone, and didn't get off even after DH stood right up at the counter. It wasn't until he started to ask her the question did she set the phone down....not hang up mind you....just set it down. She then informed him that WalMart was 12 miles away. Ok, where is the next town? 12 miles away....GO FUCKING FIGURE. We made it to WalMart, grabbed a couple of subs and a cheese tray, hit the 'self check-out' and were outta there. Stepping into the motel, we threw the Subway subs into the trash.

I am hereby boycotting Subway. There quality has gone to shit, ingredients and service are shit, and I am now done with them. I highly suggest you do the same. And for goodness sakes stay out of Opp, Alabama!!

1 comment:

Jayne said...

I shall avoid sed town/inbreeder research village if/when I get to your end of the world! (At the current rate of things, it'll be in my next life!)
I've loved Subs ever since I lived in Saudi, a few years back, but also feel there are various branches that have their own agenda. There's a couple of outlets here we avoid, mainly because they put the minimum o. Must admit tho, I've never come across any Subway staff like you've just experienced - eeek!