Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Crazy Auction....

I wish I could have taken pictures. I really don't know if I can describe it to make you all see what I saw, but I will do my best.

This past Sunday, DH and I went to an auction. It was supposed to have various animals such as chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, rabbits, etc. Their policy is "no hooved animals" and they throw in equipment for said animals as well. Ok, so we go to see what this entails. OMG is all I could say. I was in crappy jeans and a t-shirt, and was severely over dressed. Evidently showering, or combing your hair is not a prerequisite for attending. Also, you need to have one of the following things going on:

*walk with a limp
*have one eyebrow that extends from one ear to the other
*missing your front teeth
*drinking a beer
*wear boots (for guys) that are covered in shit and mud
*wear flipflops (for girls) and have enough dirt on your toes and embedded in your toenails to grow a garden
*wear camoflage on some part of your body
* and finally, if you are a woman, you must wear a shirt that shows your belly, regardless of your weight.

All children must be filthy, and run like mad through the crowd continuously.

Lets move on to the animals...

8 chickens (including the rooster) cramed into a cage that was only big enough for 4 of them (if that)

rabbits that are on steroids

geese that were so old they could barely stand

baby chicks that had hatched that morning

and if you did buy the chicks, they were put in a cardboard beer box from the bar next door (out of the dumpster).

The smell of the small garage/shed thing where this was held was a mix....beer, animal urine, wood chips, straw, poop, portable toilet, and body odor of about 75 people. Did I mention it was about 80 degrees F in there? I had to step outside on several ocasions.

On to the boxes of 'stuff'.....there were boxes of all sorts containing things that I swear people just pulled out of their barn. Funny thing though....they labeled each box as to what was in it. No biggie, right? HA! Let me translate 2 of the boxes for you...

Lot 30, Box of Rabit Feters = Item #30, box of rabbit FEEDERS

Lot 15, fiders = Item #15, FEEDERS

Get the idea???? I couldn't believe it!!

No, I don't think I explained it very well, didn't describe it very well, but I'll tell ya, it was a sight to behold. The teenage girl and her bf/DH (?) who was handing out the bidder numbers, had her child in a playpen next to her desk, surrounded by cages of chickens and rabbits. "dad" was seen on several ocasions bending over into the playpen to check on the child, the whole time with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth...I thought for sure he would drop ashes on her, but thank goodness he didn't. One small child decided she had to pee, and didn't want to get her mom and use the potty, so she was just going to go in the grass. Her mother found her before the act was finished, and took her into the toilet.

I can't think of anything that would put into perspective of what I was witnessing. I wish I could! Lets just say, I won't be going back!!

3 comments:

The Handler said...

you've got love red necks.

Unknown said...

WOW! I've been to 100s of auctions over the years, and like you, the worst one I was ever at was an animal auction, and even those that I've attended still don't compare to what you're describing. You grow 'em good down there I guess... LOL!!

But you know, like I said, people are just trying to make it. just trying to keep food on their tables and their way of life intact. It's pitiful and its sad and its the American way.

Jayne said...

"*walk with a limp
*have one eyebrow that extends from one ear to the other
*missing your front teeth
*drinking a beer
*wear boots (for guys) that are covered in shit and mud
*wear flipflops (for girls) and have enough dirt on your toes and embedded in your toenails to grow a garden
*wear camoflage on some part of your body
* and finally, if you are a woman, you must wear a shirt that shows your belly, regardless of your weight."

But were there any banjos???
LMFAO!!!