Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Growing Fast!!

Yeppers, the chicks are growing fast! I keep waiting for them to fly out of their new digs, as they keep testing their wings. Not to mention they are outgrowing the kiddie pool I have them in. I have had a few fatalities, as to be expected. 5 in all, but I was figuring it would be more.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In other news, we did a test run of sorts on butchering. I won't get into the details, but lets just say it was a learning experience. I didn't know that there was a large meat difference in laying hens and just meat birds. Laying hens seem to have very minimal meat, which makes them no good for quartering. However, they are good for soup, broth, casseroles, etc. Instead of quartering, you just boil the meat off of the whole chicken, then go from there. That is a relief to me, as I was struggling to get it figured out. :) I've also decided that the backyard is not exactly the place to be de-feathering, and we need a better spot, as you can well imagine. Not to mention I need a spot to dump the gut bucket. And it always helps to have a really really really sharp knife! So my next project is to finish butchering the ones that aren't laying, then move the babies OUT. Boy, do they STINK!! Plus, they are standing the cooler temps, so I think its time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that an Anchor, Globe and Eagle on your TV!?!?! ;)

HD Chic said...

By god I think it is!! Funny story about those pictures....they are too big for the blog, because I wasn't paying attention to which ones I was saving to photobucket...so you get half of the picture, but more detail of what half you DO see....and how crazy that I snapped the pic during a commercial for the USMC!!! Just for you babe! ;)

The Handler said...

You couldn't get a picture of the USAF logo. I ahve a question for you. Have you ever heard that it is better for a big dogs health if their food dish is at head level instead of on the ground?

Unknown said...

LOL!! Now if that isn't fate... I don't know what is!!

When I went and saw Iron Man on Wednesday... USMC commercial was the first thing that played!!! OOH RAH!!!