Friday, July 10, 2009

Where is home?

I was thinking about this question yesterday. Many people, like my husband, are raised where they were born. For 40 years he has lived and worked basically in the same area. My son, who is 10, has lived in the same area for 9 years. My BIL only moved 2 miles from where he grew up. You get the idea.

I however, did not have that option. I was born in Colorado, and lived there until I was 13. At that point, my father moved us to North Carolina. Not the happiest time in my life, to say the least.

Anyway, I managed to eek out 4 years of high school before hauling ass back to Colorado, where I joined the USAF. After that, I was moving on average about every 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I love traveling. But I got to wondering.....where is home? Can you actually define "home"? If so, what is it? I know the old cliche, "Home is where the heart is." or "home is where you hang your hat"....whatever. I guess my question is....is it where you've spent the most time? Where you are the most comfortable? Where you have the best memories? I mean, I've listened to songs on the radio that make me automatically think of this house, or smelled a smell that makes me go back to my old place in Colorado, even going back to where I used to run around in Florida makes me smile. But which is home???? I love all of these places. Hell, in Lincoln, Nebraska I had some nice times, LOL.

So, in all the places I've been, and all the times I've been asked, "where is home?" I just answer with my current residence. "I own a home in Illinois." LOL

1 comment:

The Handler said...

I've always thought of "Home" as a state of mind and not a place. So "Home can be anywhere you feel safe and comfortable.