Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Good ride

After the spaztick episode day before yesterday with Royalty, I didn't ride yesterday. Today was too beautiful to pass up, so I got her out. Talk about a completely different horse! She stood still while I brushed her down, fell asleep while I was saddling her, and was so complacent with the bit I had to wake her up to get it in her mouth! Getting on wasn't NEAR the rodeo it usually is, and she went right to the road and did great. I was going to just take her for a 1 mile round trip. But she was doing so well I decided to take her "around the block", which is about 4 miles. She did great!! Very relaxed, going along with no problems. We were having a great time! Until.....

....until we got to the neighbor's house, where her stud "boyfriend" lives. OMG she freaked out. She wanted to go up the driveway so bad, and got pissed when I wouldn't let her. So, in retaliation, she reared up on me. Not once, not twice, but THREE times!! The 3rd time she came up so high I thought we were both going over backwards. So I just got off of her before we both got hurt and walked her home. She did fine, but its a lesson.....don't go that way!! LOL

I think the problems I had the other day had to do with the weather. It wasn't just Royalty freaking out, but the neighbor's horses, and even an experienced rider nearby got thrown. He is in the hospital with a broken pelvis and punctured kidney...peeing blood. I say weather because that evening a super-cell storm moved in, and it was major lightning, and about 2 inches of rain. I think the barometric pressure was affecting the animals. She was a completely mellowed out animal today.

Today was a good ride.

No comments: