Saturday, July 12, 2008

Hanging out

We have spent the last few days just 'hangin out' and doing things around the house. Its been super humid and I didn't even feel like being outside. We moved the baby chics out to the 'mini-coop' I built last week. Power tools rock! Chics with power tools are even cooler!! LOL

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I put my boy to work cleaning up the water container and the poop tray from the indoor brooder

Photobucket

Photobucket

Once that was done, we relaxed for the rest of the day!!

Photobucket

I then recieved 2 phone calls bearing bad news. Now, bad news can be "terrible with no recovery" or just "it happened and we are all ok". These 2 phone calls were of the latter kind.

The first was to say that my BIL's hog barn caught fire. It wasn't huge, and was contained to a small area, and by sheer fate, the heat melted a plastic water pipe which, upon breaking, dumped water on the fire thus putting it out. Nobody was physically hurt, although his pride was. A few electrical components were damaged, and thank goodness there were no hogs in the building. It was the 'in-between time' where the grown ones were gone and the new ones hadn't yet arrived. They were cleaning the building in prep for the next batch. The electrical will be repaired on Monday, and new hogs will be in next week.

The second call occurred when I got back home from one of my nephew's ball games. It was 9pm and my sister was calling. She apologized for calling so late (I usually don't answer the phone after 8pm) but had to tell me about my 6 year old niece. She has been taking swimming lessons for the past few weeks, and doing quite well. Yesterday was the diving board. She dove off forwards with no problems. Then it was time to dive off backwards. Toes on the board, her first dive was great. Then came the second. Evidently she was so excited, she didn't place her feet properly and when she launched off, her chin hit the board. We all know how badly face wounds can bleed, so you can imagine. Long story short, she was taken to the ER and recieved 5 stitches. There should be minimal scarring, and its far enough under her chin that you won't be able to see it anyway.

So, all in all, everyone survived and is ok despite the craziness. Today is supposed to be a cookout at the SIL's place, with a pool party thrown in, so hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'll try to get pics and post them soon!

No comments: