Thursday, July 31, 2008

The work doesn't end.....

So after taking a day to recover, I've finally gotten the opportunity to write about my day on Tuesday.

It started like normal...feeding dogs and chickens, but the work escalated from there. DH and I had a lot of work ahead of us. We needed to move the 27 baby chicks to their own coop, which meant butchering the 4 old ones that were there. After that, I needed to pick up the house because my MIL was coming over. We had agreed to have her over so we could put up corn. "Put up"....to preserve, can, or freeze corn for later use. This entails shucking, cleaning, cutting it off the cob, boiling, then bagging it for freezing. Between her and I, we had 3 seed bags full, which is about 75-100 ears.

After picking up the house, I proceeded to butcher the 4 hens, while the DH prepared the coop and moved the 27 chicks over. After butchering/skinning these hens, I put 2 of them in the stock pot to make broth...that takes 4 hours!! So I got that started, then dove into the meals I needed to make the DH for him to take on the road. Tater-tot casserole, spaghetti, and chicken/noodles. All of this had to be made, separated, then frozen. DH was great about it, as things came out of the oven, he was dividing it into his containers and making room in the freezer. In between that task, he was shucking corn and getting the chicken broth rolling (picking the meat off the bones, restarting the boiling, keeping it stirred, etc), and hauling out cobs. At the same time, I was cleaning the corn (brushing out silks, picking out bad spots, etc), keeping the dishes done, boiling pots of corn and straining it, keeping the brine made, and getting food cooked....not to mention doing the laundry, getting it hung on the line, and then pulled in and folded.

By the time we were finished, it was 5pm. I had been on my feet since 0630!!!! We were finished and had the remaining dishes piled in the sink when I just looked at the DH and said "Take me to supper, please!" So we showered and went out for a relaxing meal. I figured why not? I had been cooking all day, and it was someone elses turn to cook for ME. LOL

After the whirlwind of a day on Tuesday, we woke up Wednesday and had to leave right after breakfast to take the DH to work. I came home and CRASHED!! I was sooo tired, I just layed down on the couch and died. It was short lived though. I had to get up again and go to an auction in town in order to try to buy a freezer. Didn't get the freezer, but had a nice time visiting with people in town anyway. :)

Today, I'm back at it. I need to make more broth, make sweet relish and salsa and get it canned, and do laundry and pick up the house in between. But that's ok, because its supposed to be hot and steamy today, and I'd much rather be inside!!

*Thinks to herself....."damn, at some point I've GOT to mow the grass!!" :(

No comments: