Thursday, December 18, 2008

Packing....

Soooo, yesterday I went to my closets and started a 'packing list' of sorts. One for DH, one for me. Of course, it goes without saying that mine was quite a bit longer than his. :p

Anyway, it got me thinking about what I am packing, exactly. I mean, I'm a woman, and I've had a kid, so naturally I'm going to pack for every possible event, mishap, weather change, and anything else that may come along. The military taught me, if nothing else, to pack lots of socks and underwear. Got that covered, and they don't take up much room. Its the jeans, shirts, skirts/dresses(yes, I said both), and lets not forget...SHOES. I also had to take into consideration work clothes. We are only allowed to wear Docker's* style pants...like work slacks I guess you could say. DH and I have those and polo type or decent button up shirts that will be worn daily. The rest will be 'play clothes'.

Now, take into consideration we are going to Florida...FLORIDA!! (yes, I'm excited)...and watching the weather there, its been in the mid 60's during the day. Also remember, we won't be back here in IL til July. I'm obviously packing shorts, but my delima is this....we only have a limited amount of suitcases, and a limited amount of space.

1 Large
2 Mediums
2 Smalls
1 Duffle style

I also have to consider DH's jeans, and casual shirts, and last but not least, all of the bathroom stuff. Mainly, my hair care junk. The longer my hair gets, the more stuff I need for varying activities. I can't just 'let it fly' as it just won't work. So I've been contimplating another, smaller set of luggage. Khol's seems to be having some good sales on a 2 or 3 piece set, so I may look into that. Also, I can wait til the after-Christmas sales and hopefully get a way better deal.

This afternoon I'm going to do a 'pre-pack test" of sorts. I'm going to see exactly how things fit (the bulk of it anyway). I need a bag that has our work clothes in it, and the rest can be distributed accordingly. I figure I can take a couple of hoodies, and a couple of light sweaters, and that should be plenty. I don't think I'll really need my heavy wool coats, or my Carharts. A jean jacket, and a couple of dress coats that will go with anything I wear.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll post again on the result. Schools are getting out early again today. Seems we have a pretty severe ice storm on the way. I'm hoping my power doesn't go out. I really hate it when that happens. Not to mention if it does, my BIL's hog barn is in jepardy...5,000 hogs in the freezing weather...not good.

No comments: