Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What do you believe?

As I lay in bed last night, mind racing as it usually does, I got to thinking about what people believe. Many people say they have a 'faith', and believe in something, but beyond that, what do you really believe?

Do you just believe in God? Or in general, a 'higer power'? Are you a staunch Darwin believer, or do you combine the two? How about the gods and goddesses from Pagan and Wiccan beliefs? Or maybe the gods from the ancient Romans or Egyptians? Maybe you are Native American and have your beliefs with your family and tribe traditions? What about mystical creatures? Dragons? Unicorns? Fairies? What about Vampires and Werewolves? And if you are a believer that Vamps exist, are they like the ones in Twilight or the ones made popular by Anne Rice with Lestat and The Vampire Chronicles? Or maybe you believe there is a secret world of Witches and Wizards like in the popular Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling.

Me personally, I've run the gammit. As a very young child, I wanted to believe there was a God, but soon decided that there was not. Personal choice. I never have believed in the traditional God as people refer. I tried to go the Wiccan route, but it quickly became too complicated for me. I jest quite often, saying "The Lottery Gods need to smile on us" or "Wow, I need to talk to the rain gods for the garden". But I don't think I've really ever believed in a higher power.

For me, there is just too much scientific proof that Darwin was right. The Theory of Evolution has, and still is, proven itself time and again. Now please understand, I'm NOT trying to start a major religious debate, I'm not condeming those who go to church or believe in God. I think its wonderful that you have a faith and a strong belief. I am glad that this faith gets you through your hard times, and gives you joy. We all have our ways of being happy, and for me, the traditional God and faith don't do it for me. I don't bash those who are religious, and I fully expect the same respect. I don't want to be converted, or for people to tell me how I am living a sad, hopeless existance doomed for Hell. Be and let be.

I was just wondering, out of sheer curiosity, how far people were willing to go in their beliefs. Mystical, or mythical creatures. Magic. Heck, lets even go as far as Extra-Terrestrials. Personally, I think that this entire universe is just too vast to not think there is another planet of life somewhere out there. As for the term UFO....its just that....an UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECT. It doesn't mean "ALIEN". It simply means something flying by that isn't easily identifiable at that moment. And with today's kids, it could simply be an old WWI bi-plane. But I DO believe there is other life out there. Do I believe people have been abducted? Hmmm, maybe. Sometimes I think the evidence it too overwhelming over the last 50 years, but I also sometimes think "ok, its a bandwagon thing". Depends on my mood I guess.

So, what DO you believe?

1 comment:

The Handler said...

God. Whatever. If we went back in time, lets say 200 years. What would the people think of us? We can fly, talk to people on the other side of the world by using a little thing in our ear, we can strike someone down from over a mile away (well a sniper could. I don't think I'm that good of a shot). What I'm trying to say is with all of our tech. they would think we were gods. It would take much to impress the people that were here around the time of Christ or before. I believe that "God" is nothing more than a more advance race from someother planet. It would even surprise me if the human race was an experiment conducted by that race. I don't know if the experiment was a success or not. That is what I believe but like you I have no problems if someone wants to believe in God or Budda or Mother Earth. They are adults and can live their lives however they want to.