Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Testing my hand....

For as long as I can remember, I have thought of being a writer. When I was a teanager, I wrote a story, but promptly put it away....don't ask me where it is now, although I'll always have a copy in my head.

Anyway, over the last year or so, I have messed around on a 'hit and miss' basis with not only re-writing that story, but also writing an autobiography of sorts. I also have been dabbling in children's stories. The target age group being from age 4- 8...or around there. They are stories to teach morals, respect, tolerance, and general life lessons for children. I have completed 2 stories in the series, although I don't know how many there will end up being. At the moment my struggle is with publishing. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, and all of the sites I go to want a paper, or resume stating your 'credentials'. Hell, let's see....

Housewife
Mom
occasssional dog trainer

Thats it...nothing more. Somehow, I don't think thats what they are looking for. Other sites want a fee, and there is obviously no guarantee that the book will make enough to break even for that. I know, I know, its a dog eat dog world. I also know that it will take work, and there is no guarantee on any of it. I realize that, and accept it. That doesn't, however, deminish my hope or vision of seeing my books on the shelves of bookstores and libraries everywhere. :) People write books all day long, and especially ones for children. And it seems all a celebrity has to do is think of a book and its published the next day. What credentials do they have? No more than me, really. The can act or sing...so can I. The only difference here is they get paid, and I don't.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing today. The Adventures of Annabell will continue until I find a way to get them on the shelves! :)

No comments: